Post Match - Round 1 -

Post Match – Round 1

Post Match

with Captain, Hugh Sinclair

With preseason finally over there was a lot of excitement around the club that we were finally playing for competition points. We came through the trial period with a couple of scratchy performances and a few players missing but that didn’t affect the team morale heading into Round 1.

We were greeted to a beautiful balmy Autumn day on the Northern Beaches and a typically hostile crowd. The plan was to wear the opposition down in the first half and score the points in the second which we managed to do.

We started the game into the wind and found ourselves on our side of halfway for a fair amount of time in the first half. We managed to repel Warringah’s attack for a fair period but they crashed over in the corner for the first points of the game. We then got the ball in their half and kicked the first points of the season through Sam Giltrap. The lineout was functioning well and the scrum was figuring itself out in that first half but we couldn’t manage to hold the ball more than 5 phases which hurt us, although the opposition couldn’t either. Dave Henaway was replaced early after a subluxed shoulder which gave Hamish Sinclair his 1st grade debut.

We then managed to get back down into their half again and Sam Giltrap managed to cross the chalk for the first meat pie of the season. He converted his own try then kicked another penalty before the break to give us a 13-7 lead into oranges.

After the break we knew we had to step it up a notch and keep the crowd out of the game, Pat Tafa came on at the break and added some punch to our game. Sam Kitchen crashed over after some great maul play from the forwards to put the lead out to 20-7. Throughout the game, there were some great NTR’s (No Talent Required) which really swung the momentum in our favour throughout the game.

Not long after a scuffle in the middle of the field meant the Warringah 6 and Pat Tafa had a short break on the sideline. With 14 playing 14 the team put some phases together and Jack Lindsay found an unmarked short side to crash over. Try was converted taking it to 27-7.

By this stage we had some more players on for their debut, Connor Winchester, Jack Radford, Ben Ryan, Oliver Stump all made an impact in their first game.

Warringah hit back with a try under the posts before a try to Olly Stump sealed the result for the Shoremen. Winners 35-14.

A pleasing result from the team in Round 1 but we judge our game on performance and we were not good enough. We didn’t hold the ball well enough or execute overlaps on the edges. So back to training for the bye week before we head to TG Milner to play Eastwood in Round 3. Hope to see you there.

Hugh Sinclair, Captain.


Share Now